LeaseWeb is evolving its cloud service to keep up with international concerns with the launch of LeaseWeb Private Cloud in Germany. The solution is a flat-fee, plug-and-play platform based on CloudStack, and is targeted to systems administrators, application developers, MSPs, and other savvy cloud users. Read More
Security and Privacy
Deutsche Post, Germany’s postal service, launched a free secure messaging app called SIMSme on Wednesday, providing customers with a solution to send encrypted text messages, photos, videos and contact and location information.
It is rare to go a day without hearing about a vulnerability impacting a certain WordPress plugin or theme. Most recently, vulnerabilities targeting WordPress thumbnailing plugin TimThumb, SEO plugin All in One SEO, and MailPoet, the newsletter plugin with more than 1.7 million downloads, have been exposed, leaving users and their web hosts scrambling to update to patched versions. Read More
Millions of home networks could be vulnerable to compromise through the servers ISPs manage them with, according to a presentation at DefCon. Check Point Software Technologies security researcher Shahar Tal presented the disturbing situation at the recent security conference in Las Vegas. Read More
It has been hard to miss the news lately about US corporate inversions – the practice of purchasing or merging with a foreign entity and then changing headquarters to save on high US corporate taxes. The topic was the cover of July’s Fortune magazine in an article called “Positively Un-American.” Read More
A proposed European Union regulation known as The EU General Data Protection Regulation, which is expected to be passed this year, could change how organizations treat the privacy of personal data. However, very few cloud service providers are able to currently meet these regulations which are likely to come into effect in 2015. Read More
Asian companies are getting more comfortable with the cloud, according to a recent Economist Corporate Network report. Over 60 percent of respondents reported partially replacing current IT use with cloud solutions and one-fifth are actively replacing most of their technology with cloud-based options. Read More
Web hosting provider Layered Tech is providing free cloud hosting to startups in the payments processing and healthcare industries under a new startup program.
Shanghai-based Wind Info, which provides financial data and software, is integrating IBM’s cloud-based risk analytics software into its trading terminals in China to provide new tools for managing financial risks.
People who want to use public Wi-Fi in Russia will need to enter their personal identification information under a new government order. Russian prime minister Dmitry Medvedev signed the new order this week which applies to public hotspots run by network operators.
Additional Security and Privacy Articles
- Yahoo Works with Google on End-to-End Email Encryption
- More Secure Websites Could Rank Higher in Google Search Results Under New Algorithm
- China Continues Microsoft Anti-Trust Investigation with New Raids
- Russian Hackers Grab 1.2 Billion Credentials in What Could be Largest Data Breach Ever
- Boston University Researchers Get $10 Million to Build Modular Cybersecurity System
- Symantec, Kaspersky Banned from China as Government Obliged to Choose Domestic Security Software
- DDoS Attack Hits Australian ISP Cirrus Communications
- Russian Bloggers and Media Must Register with Government as New Law Goes into Effect
- IBM Acquires Italian Identity and Access Management Provider CrossIdeas
- Hosting Data Outside the US? It’s Not Safe from US Search Warrants
- Tor Network Investigates Attack That May Have Unmasked Anonymous Users
- Sen. Leahy Proposes New Limits on NSA Surveillance and Greater Transparency
- Nexcess Uncovers Magento Exploit That Allows Hackers to Skim Credit Card Data During Checkout
- US Cloud Computing Industry Stands to Lose Billions Due to Impact of NSA Surveillance
- Cybersecurity Startups in Israel Have a Chance to Receive $1 Million in Funding